Camp Lejeune Marine killed in Afghanistan
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- The Department of Defense said Tuesday that a 23-year-old Camp Lejeune Marine has died in Afghanistan.
Lance Cpl. Dale W. Means, of Jordan, Minnesota, was killed in Helmand province Nov. 18.
His sister told the Associated Press she was told that her brother's vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.
Means was deployed to Afghanistan in July. It was his first tour of duty. He was a Motor Vehicle Operator assigned to Combat Logistics Battalion 2, Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force.
He joined the Marine Corps in January 2011 and was promoted to his current rank in August 2011. His awards include the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the National Defense Service Medal.
Means graduated from New Prague High School in 2007 and married his wife Andrea, also a 2007 New Prague graduate, in October 2011. The couple lived off-base.
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on 53 min ago
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 45 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 17 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Cub Scouts help out on the anchor desk
25 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help