Reward increased in Clinton child shooting
SAMPSON COUNTY (WTVD) -- Gov. Bev Perdue has announced a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the shooting of a four-year old child in Clinton.
It happened Friday around 10:30 p.m. at a home on Plantation Lane.
A 911 caller said a male suspect broke into the home and tried to force his way into a bedroom. When the suspect couldn't break in, he allegedly fired a gun into the room, striking the child.
Officials believe the child's parents may have been targeted in the home invasion because they are migrant workers.
Family members drove the child to Sampson Regional Medical Center where he was airlifted to a regional medical facility. Officials said the child was on life support and listed in critical condition. He has not been named.
Sheriff Jimmy Thornton also announced that the Sampson County Sheriff's Office will offer up to $5,000.00, as well for information leading up to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals for a combined award amount of up to $10,000.00.
"I am grateful for Governor Purdue's assistance with the reward," said Thornton. "Hopefully, this will encourage someone to come forward with the information that we need to arrest and convict the individual or individuals responsible for this senseless tragedy."
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Sampson County Sheriff's Office at (910) 592-4141.
sampson county, shooting, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help