Driver identified in Durham fatal crash
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The State Highway Patrol has identified the driver who they said fled from a police checkpoint and crashed over the weekend.
Brian Eugene Caldwell, 45, died early Saturday morning on N.C. Highway 98.
Troopers said Caldwell was badly burned in the crash and officials had trouble positively identifying him.
The Highway Patrol said it chased Caldwell after he turned around to avoid a DWI checkpoint. He ended up hitting a box truck head-on and both vehicles burst into flames.
Two people in the truck were rushed to the hospital but did not suffer serious injuries.
Caldwell was from Durham.
accident, durham county, local/state
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles