Police: Two Raleigh shooting incidents connected
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Raleigh police said a shooting incident Friday night left a homicide suspect and a police officer wounded.
It all started Friday shortly after 2 p.m. at a Carquest store in the 2600 block of East Millbrook Road near Hargrove Road.
Employees told ABC11 that they heard shots fired outside.
"I thought I heard two 'pow pow.' I thought there was a car there backfiring and everything like that," said Michael Wright, a Carquest supervisor. "And then I find out that somebody got shot out there in our parking lot. It wasn't any of our employees or anything like that."
Police identified the dead man as 53-year-old Jay Gould Simmons. They said he was shot while sitting behind the steering wheel of his pickup truck.
Shortly before 8:30 p.m., police officers cornered the alleged murder suspect - 53-year-old Matthew Durwood Calton - in an area near a shopping center at Millbrook and Creedmoor Roads.
After about an hour, police said Calton approached officers with a shotgun and opened fire. One officer was hit in the arm. Police returned fire and Calton was hit in the torso.
Both men were taken to WakeMed for treatment. The officer was released from the hospital Sunday.
Police said they had a warrant to charge Calton with murder. They said additional charges would be filed when his medical condition allows. He is currently listed in fair condition.
Investigators said Calton and Simmons knew each other before the shooting outside the auto parts store. A source told ABC11 Simmons was Calton's landlord and the two planned to meet up so that Calton could pay several months worth of rent. Instead, police say Calton fatally shot Simmons when he showed up.
Both police officers involved in the shooting are on routine administrative duty while the SBI, the Raleigh Police Department internal affairs department, and the Wake County District Attorney review the incident.
wake county, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 1 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina 11 min ago
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2 55 min ago
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help