Local businesses hoping to cash in on holiday sales
RALEIGH -- Small businesses across the country are ready for "Small Business Saturday," a day for people to buy holiday gifts at local shops and businesses.
Shop Small is sandwiched between Black Friday, a day-long frenzy at the large chain stores, and Cyber Monday, when Internet retailers have special offers to entice people to spend online.
The day was created three years ago to help encourage shopping locally during the recession because many small businesses can't compete with large retailers.
Thousands of small stores, restaurants and other businesses are offering special discounts and promotions.
wake county, local/state
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 2 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged 30 min ago
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- New Scrabble words sought
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen...
29 min ago