Man arrested in movie theater crash, scare
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Police have made an arrest in connection with a frightening ordeal at a Raleigh movie theater.
Police said 29-year-old Derrick Donta Bell ran inside the Mission Valley movie theater in the 2100 block of Avent Ferry Road shrieking and screaming on Nov. 15.
"It definitely made my 'Twilight' experience memorable," said eyewitness Hunter Kenny.
Police said Bell was speeding and plowed a van through three parked cars before crashing into a tree. The most severely damaged vehicle belonged to Kenny.
"It had actually been flipped and moved backwards like 20 feet," said Kenny. "And I was like, 'Wait, is that my car?'"
What happened next conjured up terrorizing images of the Colorado movie massacre from earlier this year.
"The guy came running out, screaming out of the car like he was definitely on, probably like crystal meth or some kind of substance," said Kenny.
Monday, ten days later, police arrested Bell. Bell was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, careless and reckless driving, disorderly conduct and injury to personal property.
Bell's crime record dates all the way back to 2000 when he was just 17 years old.
In 2001, Bell was charged with attempted murder, but he was acquitted by a jury. He had also spent time in jail earlier this year.
Bell's bail was set at $2,000.
wake county, local/state, fred shropshire
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet Abaroa
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16? 58 min ago
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- Michael Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
- Search and rescue efforts continue in...
51 min ago
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
48 min ago
- Local man recalls living in Moore, Okla.
49 min ago