Raleigh mom takes to Facebook to keep her son
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Wake County mother is losing custody of her son.
After eight years of being the primary parent, Herlene Thomas doesn't understand why a judge is now sending her son out of state.
Court documents haven't been filed yet but it appears that this was an ugly divorce and a young boy has clearly been caught in the middle in this custody battle.
Thomas has had primary custody of her son since he was born. Her ex-husband is a high ranking official in the Army, and has spent the last few years overseas. Now, he's back in the states and it appears he wanted full custody and has won.
Thomas says her number one priority is her son, and she just doesn't understand.
"I've provided a stable life, a loving faithful home for Shaun," said Thomas. "A life where he's in school. I don't take motherhood lightly at all. I'm all in for motherhood."
Thomas' custody battle has been contentious with accusations that she's suffered from mental illness and that's she's prevented a relationship with her son and his father. There are also accusations of domestic violence and abuse.
"It's clear that the judge thinks a change is needed if this child is going to thrive and ultimately to survive," said divorce attorney Lee Rosen, who thinks the judge had no other choice. "In this case, you absolutely need a change based on the judge's findings because the toxicity between mom and dad is destroying the child."
The judge in this case said she cannot comment. As for Shaun's father, ABC11 reached out to him and his attorney. His attorney said they are not commenting right now.
For now, eight-year old Shaun will go live with his father full time in Virginia after Christmas.
Thomas said she plans to fight the judge's decision following the holidays.
wake county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Audit shows problems with NCTracks 27 min ago
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Autopsy reveals Jamie Hahn stabbed 24 times
- Art Pope says he's sad about Roses, Maxway pickets
- Child writes apology letter for dialing 911 18 min ago
- Second suspect named in double murder
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial
- Wake Forest chooses Bowling Green's Clawson
- Reward doubled in Mount Olive murders
- Deputy hits deer, tree in Moore County
- Audit shows problems with NCTracks
33 min ago
- Durham Public Schools seeks solutions to...
28 min ago
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
38 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help