Murder suspect released from hospital, jailed
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The suspect in a deadly shooting outside a Raleigh auto parts store is now in jail after being released from the hospital.
Matthew Calton, 53, had been at WakeMed since Nov. 23. That's when police say he was hurt in a shootout with officers trying to take him into custody.
Calton is accused of killing Jay "Jody" Simmons outside Carquest on East Millbrook Road.
About six hours later, Calton was involved in the shootout at the Creedmoor Crossing Shopping Center, on West Millbrook Road.
An officer was also hurt in the scuffle.
Simmons was Calton's landlord. Police said it is still unclear what caused Calton to shoot Simmons.
Calton is expected in court Tuesday.
wake county, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help