Second suspect arrested in Fayetteville murder
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Fayetteville police have made a second arrest in connection with the Nov. 25 murder of 67-year-old Wolfgang Joppich.
Police arrested 39-year-old Charles Lamont Hope at his home on the 900 block of Pedro Drive Tuesday.
Authorities charged Hope with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and conspiracy.
Joppich's body was discovered on Tally-Ho Drive. Police said he had been shot once in the chest.
Detectives later found Joppich's wallet and other personal items in a trash bin about half a mile from where his body was located.
Police arrested 18-year-old Terrane Dukes Nov. 28. He is being held at the Cumberland County jail without bond.
Joppich, a Vietnam War veteran originally from Germany, was known for his love of wild cats in the Fayetteville area. He also sang in the choir at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Fayetteville.
Fayetteville police said during a press conference Thursday morning that people in the community thought Joppich had a lot of money, and he may have been targeted because of his age.
Detectives said they knew of Joppich, but were unaware that he was homeless until his death. They said they thought he was a volunteer at the Fayetteville Area Operation Inasmuch. Operation Inasmuch is a national nonprofit that involves local church congregations helping the needy in their communities, according to their website.
cumberland county, homicide, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help