Humane Society warns about puppy mills
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- An animal rights group has a warning to families who want a new pet this holiday season.
The Humane Society said people should pay attention to where you get your next pet, and they want lawmakers to come up with stricter laws against puppy mills. There have been 12 raids in the area in the past two years.
The Humane Society said to beware because this Christmas you could get yourself a puppy mill dog.
"If you're interested in bringing a pet into your family this holiday season, go to a shelter or rescue or consider buying only from a responsible breeder," said Melanie Kahn, with the Humane Society. "Do not buy a pet at a pet store or buy a dog online because you will be most likely buying a dog from a puppy mill."
North Carolina has had more raids on puppy mills in the past two years than any other state in the country. The Humane Society is not only worried that North Carolina could become a haven for puppy mills. They are also concerned that legislation wouldn't pass to stop it.
So, the Humane Society is asking people for two things this holiday season -- to be careful who you buy your dog from and make sure to call your local legislature to get the commercial dog breeder bill passed.
local/state, kelli o'hara
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help