Fort Bragg solider found dead
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Fort Bragg Paratrooper was found unresponsive and pronounced dead in a Fayetteville apartment Friday morning, according to military officials.
The death of 37-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Jeffrey Griffey is under investigation.
Griffey was from Byron Center, Michigan and served as an air movement liaison with the 82nd Airborne Division Headquarters and was assigned to Headquarters, Headquarters Company, 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team.
Griffey joined the Army in 1993. He completed basic combat training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
He arrived at Fort Bragg's 82nd Airborne Division in 2006 where he served as a senior maintenance noncommissioned officer in charge, platoon sergeant, maintenance supervisor, maintenance control sergeant and motor sergeant.
Lt. Col. Geoffrey Kent says Griffey was "a dedicated leader" who "touched the lives of countless paratroopers and their families."
Griffey joined the Army in 1993 and served on two combat deployments. He deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in March 2003 to January 2004 and Operation Enduring Freedom from January to October 2007.
fort bragg, cumberland county, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 17 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers 42 min ago
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case 56 min ago
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes...
16 min ago
- Uptick in flu cases in Triangle
22 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help