Deputies: Woman said she'd stop for $300K
BOLIVIA, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Brunswick County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday it has arrested a South Carolina woman after a bizarre chase in which she allegedly dialed 911 and offered to stop if she was given $300,000.
Deputies said the chase began when an officer tried to stop 37-year-old Jennifer Melisa Herring, of Misty Pine Drive, Myrtle Beach, for a traffic violation just before 11:30 p.m. Monday night.
Herring allegedly kept going, despite the deputy's blue lights and siren. The chase hit speeds of 75mph in a 45 zone. During the chase, the sheriff's office said Herring called 911 from her cell phone and told an operator that there was no emergency, and she'd stop if she was paid $300,000.
"I don't have an emergency, but the car behind me does," said the woman in the 911 call released by authorities Tuesday.
Herring then tries to negotiate with the operator about her "fee" for pulling over.
"I don't know what you're talking about," the operator tells her.
"This cop is annoying me with his fricking siren on," said Herring.
"Are you ready to pay me $300,000?" she asks later. "If you want to pay the 300 grand, I'll pull over for you. That is my offer and I'm asking you to accept it."
The 911 operator continues to try and get Herring to pull over, but she continues to rant at him about a "false sense of emergency."
"Call off the dogs now!" she screams at him.
After 15 minutes, Herring was captured when she hit a dead end and was boxed in a driveway.
Herring was charged with driving while impaired, felony fleeing to elude arrest, driving while license revoked, careless and reckless driving, and driving left of center.
She was also arrested on an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in a previous DWI case.
- Gov. McCrory declares state of emergency
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony 31 min ago
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county 22 min ago
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum 18 min ago
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Amber Alert issued for missing 11-year-old girl
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Possible CO poisoning at Carrboro post office
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help