Cause of fatal fire identified
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Investigators have identified the cause of a house fire that left a mother and two children dead.
Investigators said that Wednesday morning's fire in the 8500 block of Cliffdale Road appears to be accidental due to an electrical problem in the home. It is unknown if there were working smoke detectors in the home.
Police said a passer-by reported the fire after seeing flames near the back of the house. By the time fire crews arrived at the scene, flames were shooting through the roof.
Rescuers found 25-year-old Ashley Bullock and her two boys, Trayvon and Andrew, ages 5 and 6, dead in the same room inside the home, according to authorities.
"It's a firefighter's worst nightmare," Fire Battalion Chief Ron Lewis said. "Obviously very devastating for this young family and just heartbreaking for the whole fire department.
Ashley's husband, Juaan Bullock, was working the night shift out of town when the fire started.
"They were just good fun, cool people," family friend Martin Kearse said. "They were good. She would babysit for me if I needed her to ... she was going to school and everything."
It took crews about 45 minutes to get the blaze under control.
Fire crews didn't hear an audible ... smoke detector when they entered, but I have talked to ... the gentleman that lives here and there were working smoke detectors in the house at the time," Lewis said.
Officials have not said what caused the fire. Detectives are still investigating the incident.
cumberland county, fire, local/state
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter 24 min ago
- ABC11 channel changes 18 min ago
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately 12 min ago
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators 31 min ago
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Suspect in Sanford shooting death arrested
- Parents hope bone marrow drive can save son
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Bank robbed in Franklinton
- 4th of July celebration returning to Ft. Bragg
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Police: 1 man, 1 woman died at South by Southwest
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
33 min ago
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC...
30 min ago
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
29 min ago