Two hurt in wrong-way I-85 crash
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police say a pickup truck was headed south in the northbound lanes of Interstate 85 early Friday morning when it collided with two larger trucks around 5 a.m.
It happened at Cole Mill Road near mile marker 173 between US 15/501 and NC 147 in Durham.
Investigators said a 2000 Ford Ranger driven by Timothy Glover Jr., 57, of Durham collided almost head-on with a northbound tractor-trailer driven by Robert Christopher Taylor, 37, of Walnut Cove.
After the first collision, the pickup went airborne and hit the driver's side cab of a northbound cement truck driven by Christopher Devon Foster, 37, of Butner.
Two people were hurt. Police said their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
A large amount of diesel fuel spilled from the tractor-trailer.
Investigators said they believe Glover got on I-85 going the wrong way at the East Club Boulevard entrance ramp and drove for approximately six miles before the crash.
911 operators took several calls about the truck, and police were looking for it when the accident happened.
Charges are pending. Police said there was no indication Glover was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
All northbound lanes were shut down at Cole Mill Road as crews worked to clear the scene. Authorities reopened the roadway about 4 hours later.
durham county, accident, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Durham Public Schools superintendent resigns
49 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help