Three accused of fire dept. scam
GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Wayne County Sheriff's Office said Friday it's charged three people with pretending to raise money for a fire department's Christmas toy drive.
Deputies said they got a tip from a resident Thursday after she said she was solicited by three people on Gurley Dairy Road.
After giving them money, the woman checked with someone who worked for the local fire department, and discovered there was no toy drive.
She gave deputies a car description and a tag number.
Deputies later arrested 22-year-old Brittney Kayla Norvell, 27-year-old Phillip Bryan Brill, and 37-year-old Billy Wayne Steen.
They're charged with obtaining property by false pretense.
wayne county, local/state
- Search under way for missing swimmer in Hope Mills 36 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- McCrory signs repeal of Racial Justice Act 54 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died 52 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos