Army doctor victim in NC plane crash
PARKTON, N.C. -- Authorities say the victim of a weekend plane crash in Robeson County was an Army doctor who was acting chief of surgery at the Fayetteville VA Medical Center.
The Fayetteville Observer reports that 62-year-old retired Col. Virgil Thomas Deal Jr. died in the Sunday crash near Parkton.
Deal had served as command surgeon of Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida and was commander of the Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C.
Deal died when his small plane, a Piper PA-28 Cherokee, crashed in the woods. He was alone in the aircraft, which had left from Summerville, S.C.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
robeson county, plane crash, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide