Local woman spreads Christmas cheer in Newtown
SANFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- Sherrie Read lives in Sanford and although she lives hundreds of miles away, she was compelled to do something for the victims in the Sandy Hook shooting massacre.
"I'm a mother, and I think being a mom, your worst fear would be to lose a child. Even to have them in a situation like that that they have to live through, and I just kept thinking of the parents and even the siblings," Read said.
To remember each person killed at the school, Read sent 24 Christmas trees, along with a donation of two others, to serve as a memorial in front of the Sandy Hook Fire House.
"I got involved because I wanted the families to know there that there is goodness in this world and through this tragedy I wanted them to feel love from all over," Read said. "It's the least that we can do as a country, to just wrap our arms around that community."
The trees were set up outside the fire department Monday and decorated with handmade ornaments to help honor the young lives lost.
Read is even hoping other people will feel compelled to donate more ornaments to adorn these trees.
"I hope they'll be filled. I hope they'll be messages for the families, and I hope that the families can take those messages and ornaments and in the years to come maybe look at them and find comfort in knowing that there were so many more people outside of their community, there for them," Read said.
Anyone who would like to help decorate the trees can send ornaments to:
Bee Publishing Company
5 Church Hill Road
Newtown, CT 06470
lee county, local/state
- Gov. McCrory declares state of emergency 19 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car 15 min ago
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Amber Alert issued for missing 11-year-old girl
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help