Another assault on Tobacco Trail
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police said Monday they are investigating yet another assault along the popular American Tobacco Trail cycling and running path.
The latest happened Sunday evening. A man told police that he was walking to the trail to go jogging around 5:45 p.m. when he saw several teens in dark clothing near the Carolina Circle access ramp to the trail.
The teens chased the man and four or five of them assaulted him by kicking and punching him. He was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
The teens asked the victim for money but they did not take anything.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator Guardino at (919) 560-4583, ext. 29364 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
There have been roughly a dozen reported attacks on joggers and cyclists on the trail this year.
In response, the police department stepped up patrols and purchased utility terrain vehicles to allow officers to cover more ground.
Citizens groups have also launched "take back the trail" efforts.
durham county, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help