Extra security in place at Wake schools today
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A threat of possible violence at several Triangle-area schools Friday have leaders on high alert.
In Wake and at Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools, parents received either automated messages on their phones or letters telling them to expect increased security. However, investigators said they have determined there is "no direct or substantiated threat to students or schools."
School leaders told ABC11 that the threat of students possibly bringing weapons on campus has been circulating in social media, not just in our area, but around the nation.
"Apparently, in the aftermath of the Connecticut tragedy and in connection with the supposed 'end of the world' Mayan Calendar story, a social media message was initiated that promulgated the notion that violent acts would occur in schools on Friday. As you can imagine, as this message made its way across the state and nation a variety of renditions materialized," said Chapel Hill-Carrboro Superintendent Thomas Forcella in a message to parents.
Forcella said extra security measures would include:
- There will be an increased law enforcement presence at all schools
- All doors will be secured and monitored throughout the day
- Increased monitoring of hallways and common areas
- School officials reserve the right to check bags and backpacks
In Wake County, officials planned extra security at Wake Forest-Rolesville High School, Athens Drive High School, Green Hope High and Apex Middle School.
"As always, our mission is to foster safe and engaging learning environments that support the academic success of every student," said interim superintendent Stephen Gainey in a message to parents.
Friday is a half day for students before the holidays.
wake county, wake county schools, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide