Most flu cases in a decade in North Carolina
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- State Health Director Laura Gerald said Friday that flu activity across North Carolina is at the highest levels recorded in the past decade and there have been 12 flu-related deaths so far.
She urged residents to take time out of their holiday activities to get their annual flu vaccination.
"It is very unusual for us to see this many deaths so early in the flu season," Dr. Gerald said.
Gerald said the flu vaccine being offered this year is very effective against the most common strains circulating in the state.
"So we strongly recommend that anyone over 6 months old be vaccinated," she said.
Schools and long-term care facilities have been hardest hit by the outbreaks.
Gerald said pregnant women, people with chronic diseases, very young children and the elderly are most at risk for serious flu-related complications.
Gerald said a few simple precautions can also slow the spread of the illness:
- stay home when you are sick
- wash your hands regularly with soap and water
- cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then discard the tissue promptly
State-supplied flu vaccine is available at no charge from most local health departments and many providers. Contact your local health department or find a flu vaccine clinic near you by visiting flu.nc.gov.
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide 15 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel 2 min ago
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK 1 min ago
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Rabies alert in Cary
- Driver killed after car collides with school bus
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
12 min ago
- Three arrested in north Raleigh murder
11 min ago
- Army declares missing soldier Kelli...
10 min ago