12 year old killed in hunting accident
WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WTVD) -- A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed in a Wake Forest hunting accident Friday morning, Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison reported.
A 911 operator took a call from James Lee Parker's distraught father just after 7:30 a.m.
"My son is dead," he said through tears.
It happened near Bent Road and Colombard Court in the Falls Lake Recreation Area.
Harrison said Parker - of Jeremy Lane in Tarboro - was hunting deer with three other people when it happened.
A picture of Parker provided by a relative showed a happy young blond-haired boy posing with a cousin.
North Carolina Wildlife officials said the uncle Jason Matthews Parker of Franklinton fired a single shot with a 12 gauge shotgun which hit 12- year-old James Lee Parker.
Officials said Parker improperly acquired a hunting license and had not taken the hunting education course as is required by the state of North Carolina.
Though the investigation is still ongoing, Parker could face criminal charges.
Sheriff Harrison said 12 year olds can hunt if they're accompanied by an adult. As they're out of school, the Christmas holidays are often a time when young people go out with their families to get their first deer.
The boy's grandfather told ABC11 Friday that his grandson died doing what he loved and took his first deer last year.
wake county, shooting, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide 23 min ago
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash 55 min ago
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...
- Video: Critics call Georgia's new law the "guns...
- Lawmakers propose dumping Common Core