Man murdered during home invasion
DUNN, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police have arrested a man who allegedly robbed and killed his former employer.
Police responded to a home invasion call Sunday morning at a home at 276 Jernigan Road in Dunn.
Deputies on scene found the body of 76 year-old Charles C. Stewart at the back of his home. His wife, 56 year-old Sharon Stewart was found inside the home with multiple injuries.
Investigators said the suspect took firearms, jewelry, money and a 2001 Chevrolet van from the home during the incident.
Sunday evening, 56-year- old James Robert Davis was arrested at an abandoned house at the 400 block of Grady Road in Clinton, N.C. and charged with first-degree murder. The stolen vehicle was also recovered at this location, according to police.
Police said Davis is a former employee of Stewart who was let go about a year ago.
People in Dunn who knew Stewart told ABC11 Monday they were shocked at the news.
"I don't understand it because he was a good fellow, and I believe he was a fair fellow, so I don't understand why anyone would want to do what he did," offered Dannie Robinson.
robbery, harnett county, sampson county, local/state
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles