Deputy crashes in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Investigators said a Durham County deputy was involved in a crash Monday while trying to catch up with an alleged speeder.
It began just before 9:30 a.m. when an off-duty detective in an unmarked car reported a 2009 silver 4-door Nissan Maxima going too fast near N Roxboro Street and Sandlewood Drive.
Authorities said a marked patrol car quickly caught up and tried to pull over the vehicle, but the driver refused to stop.
The car then went down Duke Street, where deputies were ready to deploy Stop Sticks. However, authorities said the driver saw the deputies up ahead, and quickly tried to make a left onto W Murray Avenue.
Thats when the deputy that was pursuing the suspects rear-ended the Nissan.
"At the point he saw me, he attempted to do a U-turn, the patrol car struck him in the rear as he was attempting to turn around," Lieutenant G.M. Williams said.
The deputy tried to continue the chase in his damaged car, but ended up losing control and crashing into a power pole. The deputy was not hurt.
The alleged speeder then took off. Deputies are searching for the Nissan Maxima with rear-end damage. There were two men reported in the car. One was wearing a red hat.
Authorities said the Nissan is registered to someone who was not the driver. Deputies released a surveillance photo of the alleged driver taken in a business.
In addition to the red hat, he was wearing a "Flipping the Bird" sweatshirt. Deputies were also trying to identify the passenger, but did not have a picture of him.
Anyone with information is asked to call (919) 560-0900.
durham county, accident, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75