Two dead in Sampson County murder-suicide
TURKEY, N.C. (WTVD) -- An 18-year old girl is the victim of a Sampson County murder-suicide. Authorities said her father shot and killed her before taking his own life.
It happened at a home in the 3600-block of New Hope Church Road in Turkey on Monday.
Relatives told ABC11 that Carlos Vasquez shot his daughter, Itzel, in the home and then killed himself.
"Yeah, that's really tough. It hurts, you know? It's sad," said John Vasquez, who is Carlos Vasquez's nephew.
The nephew said a decision by Vasquez's estranged wife, traveling from Texas, could have set Carlos off on Sunday.
"He was all happy she was coming, and she went back to Texas and that made him sad," said John. "I guess that made him kill his daughter and himself."
Sampson County investigators won't say much about what they're calling a death investigation. However, while they wait for autopsy results, the victims' relatives have this request:
"Pray for us. Yeah, just pray for us. That'd help us a lot," said John.
sampson county, local/state, anthony wilson
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident 35 min ago
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill 50 min ago
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike 41 min ago
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback 36 min ago
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent
- Southern Pines officer remembered 44 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos