Duke student asks for help Gangnam Style
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Duke student having trouble getting the money he needs to finish his education is getting creative.
Milton Gilder graduated from Duke in 2009. Three years later, he returned to the school for a 12-month program that leads to licensing as a teacher in North Carolina.
Gilder has now taken to YouTube to get attention and to help pay off his loans.
"It was a lot of fun, and I'm asking people for money so I might as well do something fun, entertaining and enjoyable," Gilder said.
The video, which features Gilder dancing to Psy's hit song 'Gangnam Style,' details the student's attempts to get loans or jobs that fit with his class schedule. He is seen working with younger students and talking about his dream to teach them formally, with credentials.
Gilder is scheduled to teach personal finance at Jordan High in Durham this semester, but says he will need about $6,000 by Jan. 15 in order to do so.
"I need to pay Duke, so I can enroll in courses," Gilder said.
He also has to pay off $13,000 in loans from his undergraduate days at Duke.
So far, the video has brought in $900.
durham county, duke, local/state, anthony wilson
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas
- Cumberland Co. damage caused by straight line winds
- Police officer killed in crash with excavator