Three injured in Smithfield shooting
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- Three people were shot Thursday afternoon in the 500 block of Mill Street in Smithfield, according to investigators.
Police said there were dispatched to 509 Mill Street for a disturbance call around 1:42 p.m. and then later learned that numerous shots had been fired as well.
Upon arrival, witnesses told police that a female in her 20s and her three-year-old son had been shot near 511 Mill Street. A 24-year-old male victim had also been shot near 509 Mill Street.
Witnesses said people in two cars pulled up and starting shooting.
"I was waiting at the bus stop to get my son off the bus," said one witness. "Right when the kids got off the bus, before the bus could even leave, we heard shots."
It was a simple act that quickly turned into a very frightening situation.
"The other mother, she was coming to get her son off the bus but she got caught in the crossfire, her and her, I think he may be 2 or 3 years old, her and him both got shot," said the witness.
All three victims were transported to the hospital for treatment.
Officers say the female victim and her son are in serious condition and the male has been treated and released. Police said it appears that the mother and child were struck by stray bullets.
Police said they did recover two weapons on the scene, but would not go into detail about what kind of weapons they were.
At this time, police do not have anyone in custody and have not named any suspects.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Smithfield Police Department at (919) 934-2121 or the Smithfield tip line at (919) 989-8835.
johnston county, shooting, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help