Man charged with having weapons on NC State campus
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A man has been arrested for allegedly having several weapons on N.C. State's campus.
Fifty-four-year-old Steven O'Connell was arrested Friday after a tip to officials Thursday night. Officials told ABC11 that because O'Connell had a medical issue, he had been in the hospital until he appeared in front of a magistrate Monday afternoon.
Police said he had several weapons in his locker at the College of Veterinary Medicine. He faces three felony counts of having a gun on an educational property.
O'Connell allegedly had an a Colt handgun, a .357 Magnum, a Gerber dagger, and two axes on campus. Police said one of the handguns was loaded. In his car, investigators found a AR-15 rifle.
O'Connell's lawyer told ABC11 that the whole thing is a misunderstanding. William Young said O'Connell is a good, family man and there is another side to this story.
"This is not what it seems it," said Young. "It doesn't fit the profile and the kind of cases you see in the press right now that have to deal with guns at school. I wish could tell you what that is now."
It is unclear if O'Connell had a license for the weapons.
O'Connell is listed as an employee on N.C. State's website under the department of Infectious Disease Control Resources. According to the website, his job title is CVM Necropsy Service.
O'Connell has been placed on leave following his arrest and has been banned from being on campus during the investigation.
His bond was set Monday at $12,000.
Police said at no time was there a threat to anyone on campus.
wake county, nc state, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence 18 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van 40 min ago
- Durham house damaged by fire 30 min ago
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2Hurricanes surge...
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil...
2 min ago
- Helping Hands Mission needs donations
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help