Woman survives Morrisville train crash
MORRISVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A woman escaped serious injury or even death when her car was smashed by an Amtrak train in Morrisville Tuesday evening.
It happened around 5:30 p.m. at Chapel Hill Road and McCrimmon Parkway in Morrisville.
"It happened so quickly," said witness Karen James. "There was just no time for her to move."
A car driven by Sujana Koluru became trapped on the tracked with no place to go.
"Then the train came. It was just like it was in the movies," said James. "The train came and the car was square on the tracks, and the train hit it."
Koluru was on her way home from work. She said traffic was heavy when suddenly she got stuck in the middle of the train tracks when the gates started coming down.
"I had to stop," she said. "I didn't see that I was in the middle of the track, and suddenly I saw the blinking of the lights."
Unable to move forward or in reverse, the Morrisville mother said she had little choice.
"So, I got out of the car -- trying to ask someone for help," she said. "Then the train came and hit my car."
Koluru couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if she didn't act so quickly.
"I had to save my life," she said.
Koluru was cited for the accident.
There was only minor damage to the train.
wake county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 12 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- NCCU new head football coach named
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help