Raleigh police chief finalists announced
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Three finalists are under consideration to fill the City of Raleigh's police chief vacancy.
City Manager Russell Allen announced Thursday that Malik Aziz, 44, deputy chief of police for the Dallas, Texas, Police Department; Cassandra Deck-Brown, 49, interim police chief for the Raleigh Police Department; and, Bryan Norwood, 46, chief of the Richmond, Va., Police Department, were the three candidates chosen from the 48 applicants the City received.
North Carolina native Deck-Brown has been serving as interim chief of police since Chief Harry Dolan announced last year that he was retiring after five years as Raleigh's top cop.
Aziz is also familiar with North Carolina. He was recently a finalist for the City of Fayetteville's police chief position, but later confirmed he was passed over for the job. On Wednesday, it was announced that Harold Medlock would be the new Fayetteville chief.
Aziz had spoken with Fayetteville residents at two community meetings when he was still a candidate. He will get another chance to speak at a community meeting, this time in Raleigh on Jan.24.
Aziz, Deck-Brown and Norwood will be asked several questions by Allen at a public forum from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the council chamber of the Avery C. Upchurch Government Complex.
The public will not be able to ask the candidates questions, but will be able to rank the finalists according to their preference and offer written comments.
The forum will be shown live by the City of Raleigh Television Network on cable channel 11.
Residents will also be able to meet the candidates following the forum at a reception in the lobby of the Upchurch Complex.
The City Manager has been searching for a new police chief since September.
raleigh police, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide 18 min ago
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...