Police search for driver who struck bicyclist
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police in Durham are searching for a hit and run driver who struck a bicyclist Monday morning.
Steve Saltzman was hit by a car just after 7 a.m. on Pickett and Structure House Roads.
The driver did not stop but another driver, who happened to be a doctor at Duke, did stop and help.
Saltzman is expected to be okay. He was treated and released from the hospital.
"I took a big hit," said Saltzman. "I have a lot of road rash. I've got a concussion. I've got a sprained shoulder."
Saltzman was biking to work when he was hit.
"The car was moving obviously pretty fast," he said.
Despite Saltzman hugging the far right line, the vehicle's mirror clipped him and snapped off. With fragments of the hit and run vehicle left at the scene, Saltzman hopes the perpetrator or an eyewitness will come forward.
"You just hope that they get the driver because there are so many kids that travel on that road," he said. "You know they may not be as lucky as I was today."
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Durham Police Department.
durham county, local/state, fred shropshire
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 17 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63 48 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named 35 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
5 min ago
- Durham Public Schools superintendent resigns
9 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named
34 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help