Family escapes from burning home
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- A family says they are trying to figure out what to do next after escaping from their burning home early Tuesday morning.
It happened around 4 a.m. on Trekwood Drive in the Grissom Farms Subdivision in Garner.
Family members told ABC11 that they awoke to their mother yelling. Six people, six dogs and a bird made it out of the home safely. A pet lizard did not.
"The last thing I remember was going to bed and waking up to my mom saying, 'Get up, get up, the house is on fire,'" one of the teenage family members said. "A thousand thoughts just jumped into my head, I said, 'What do I grab first ... what do I do, do I run outside ... where do I go?"
It took fire crews over an hour to get the blaze under control. It is unclear what sparked the flames.
Family members believe the fire started in a bonus room, but authorities have not confirmed that.
The family owns Shuck'Em Shack restaurant on Timber Drive East off White Oak Road in Garner. They said they did not know if they would open the restaurant Tuesday.
wake county, fire, local/state
- Crews work to restore power, clean up damage 7 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help