Family escapes from burning home
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- A family says they are trying to figure out what to do next after escaping from their burning home early Tuesday morning.
It happened around 4 a.m. on Trekwood Drive in the Grissom Farms Subdivision in Garner.
Family members told ABC11 that they awoke to their mother yelling. Six people, six dogs and a bird made it out of the home safely. A pet lizard did not.
"The last thing I remember was going to bed and waking up to my mom saying, 'Get up, get up, the house is on fire,'" one of the teenage family members said. "A thousand thoughts just jumped into my head, I said, 'What do I grab first ... what do I do, do I run outside ... where do I go?"
It took fire crews over an hour to get the blaze under control. It is unclear what sparked the flames.
Family members believe the fire started in a bonus room, but authorities have not confirmed that.
The family owns Shuck'Em Shack restaurant on Timber Drive East off White Oak Road in Garner. They said they did not know if they would open the restaurant Tuesday.
wake county, fire, local/state
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 31 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Authorities investigating shooting at gas station 31 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help