Sources: Gun linked to slayings of Wake Co. couple
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Wake County Sheriff's Office has charged an 18-year-old woman with possession of an assault rifle and resisting arrest.
Gemby Estrada was booked into the Wake County Jail earlier this week. She's officially charged with possession of a weapon of mass destruction. An arrest warrant says she had an AR AKMS assault rifle - similar to the better-known AK-47.
Sources say the weapon was used in the double homicide and shooting of Jose Samuel Flores Mendoza and Maria Saravia Mendoza, both 34.
They were shot to death in their home in the 700 block of Colonial Drive near Garner on Jan. 5 around 12:30 a.m.
Estrada has not yet been charged in connection with their murder.
Records show Estrada is also being held on a detainer for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement department as she may be in the U.S. illegally.
wake county, local/state
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants 51 min ago
- Putin urges end to blockade of Trans-Dniester
- Fire truck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Family of Fayetteville Navy Yard shooting victim files suit
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas