Whale euthanized after washing ashore in NJ
EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - January 21, 2013 -- Officials say a pygmy sperm whale was euthanized after it washed up on a beach in southern New Jersey.
The Press of Atlantic City reports the whale was alive but sickly and injured when it was found Monday morning on Malibu Beach in Egg Harbor Township, between Ocean City and Longport.
Staffers with the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine soon got the mammal and took it to their facility in Brigantine.
Center Director Bob Schoelkopf told the newspaper that the mature, 10-foot animal should normally be feeding on squid in the deep ocean this time of year. He suspects the whale had heart problems that caused it be lethargic and float to shore, something he said is common in this species.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City
new jersey, atlantic county, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 56 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma 39 min ago
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported 34 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing 24 min ago
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman 8 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- Car hits CAT bus, injuries reported
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
abc11.com News Links
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help