911 call sheds light on Raleigh murder
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A 911 call has revealed new details about a murder suspect who was arrested at a Raleigh church on Sunday morning.
A caller, who was a retired police detective, told the dispatcher that a man confessed to attacking his girlfriend and that she may be dead.
Apparently, the accused killer sought out salvation at the Foundation Church on Six Forks Road. However, he didn't just find a pastor. He found a retired homicide detective attending services who he allegedly confessed his crime too.
Caller : "First thing, I have a very, kind of unusual situation. Did you have any kind of assault call or anything at 210 Loft Lane?"
But what the caller didn't know was 210 Loft Lane wasn't the scene of an assault but of a murder.
Caller: "I have a young man with me that, I'm at church right now. He came into our church and indicated that he assaulted his girlfriend and she could possibly be 103."
In police code, 103 means death or that someone was killed.
That young man at the church was apparently 21-year-old Wedjunald Gemeille.
Caller: "He indicated that the door should be open. He started to lock up what I started to ask more questions about her. I just want to check if anyone is there that needs assistance."
When police arrived at the home, they found 29-year-old Angel Irby dead. Gemeille has been charged with first-degree murder.
Police said this was not a random crime and that Irby and Gemeille were known to each other. Some neighbors said they were in a relationship, or at least were at one time.
Gemeille was also charged with murder two-and-a-half years ago. He was charged along with three other men in the summer of 2010 with the beating death of a Raleigh man.
Although he spent more than a year in prison, the charges against Gemeille were dropped after at least one other defendant cut a deal.
Gemeille will face a judge Tuesday.
wake county, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college 20 min ago
- Fayetteville bank robber sought 49 min ago
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade 11 min ago
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48 27 min ago
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help