Man in murder case now charged with assaulting officer
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Wake County Sheriff's Office says a man accused in the death of a woman in Raleigh this weekend is now accused of assaulting a detention deputy.
Wedjunald Gemeille, 21, has been behind bars since his arrest Sunday. The sheriff's office did not give the extent of the officer's injuries.
An arrest warrant filed in the case says Gemeille "...unlawfully, willfully and feloniously did assault Wake County Detention Officer Jarred Watts, who was employed at a detention facility, Wake County Detention Center ... and inflict serious bodily injury severe swelling of the bridge of the nose, severe swelling to right hand, contusion to the corner of the left eye, bruise to the right side of the neck."
The warrant goes on to say the assault happened while the detention officer was doing security checks.
Gemeille is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 29-year-old Angel Irby dead. She was found slain in her Loft Lane home.
Police said the two knew each other. Neighbors said they were boyfriend and girlfriend.
wake county, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help