Two charged with murdering Wake couple
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Wake County Sheriff's Office has charged two in the killings of Jose Samuel Flores Mendoza and Maria Saravia Mendoza, both 34, who were shot to death in their home near Garner earlier this month.
The Mendosas were found dead by deputies in their house in the 700 block of Colonial Drive around 12:30 a.m. January 5.
Their 3-year-old child was inside the home at the time of the attack. The couple leaves behind an older child also.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said 16-year-old Israel Vasquez, of 165 Montiseno Drive, Raleigh, and an unnamed juvenile face two counts of murder, felony conspiracy, first-degree burglary, possession of stolen property, and possessing a firearm with an obliterated serial number.
Harrison said there are no indications that the victims were connected in any way with the suspects.
He said the case appears to be gang related, and the suspects may be involved in another shooting in early December on Meadowbrook Road. He said the investigation continues.
The Mendosas both were long-time employees at the Grenelle Street Golden Corral. A fund to help the family has been set up at Wells Fargo bank. Donations should be made payable to the Maria and Jose Mendoza fund.
wake county, shooting, local/state
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Rabies alert in Cary