Man fatally shot by Fayetteville police officer
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Authorities are investigating a man's death after he was reportedly shot and killed by a Fayetteville police officer Thursday morning.
According to police, an officer attempted to pull over a Ford Explorer around 6 a.m. at the intersection of South Virginia Avenue and Morganton Road, when the driver kept going down South Virginia Avenue before stopping at a dead end.
Details surrounding the traffic stop have not been released, but police did say the driver, 22-year-old Nijza Lamar Hagans, was shot during the encounter and died at the scene. He was also armed, according to authorities.
The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the incident, which is standard in officer involved shootings.
The unidentified officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
cumberland county, shooting, local/state
- Three arrested in murder of north Raleigh mom
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror 3 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Doctors struggle to save boy's hands
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- Coach K returning to US men's team
- Garcia makes fried chicken remark about Tiger
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16?
- Family continues to experience miracles