Man charged in crimes allegedly targeted at elderly
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Authorities in Wake County have arrested and charged an Apex man in connection with a string of robberies that targeted elderly victims across the Triangle.
James Kelvin Medlin was arrested Thursday during a traffic stop following a robbery in the 1400 block of Kershaw Drive in Raleigh.
Around 6 p.m., a 90-year-old man told police that he had just returned home after running errands when he was confronted by Medlin. He said Medlin forced him into his house and robbed him at gunpoint before fleeing.
The 55 year old is charged with felony breaking and entering, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and second degree kidnapping in connection with that incident.
Thursday's crime was a similar pattern to several other incidents around Wake County.
The Wake County Sheriff's Office and the Raleigh Police Department, Apex Police Department, the Cary Police Department have also charged Medlin in connection with six other crimes.
The incidents happened on Aug. 17, 20, 24, 28, Nov. 30 and Dec. 6.
All the victims were between the ages of 70 and 96 years old.
wake county, robbery, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins 3 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay 7 min ago
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Duke gets funds to develop diverse scientists
- US 321 to remain open during Memorial Day weekend
- NBC's Brian Williams addresses Elon Class of '13
- Ohio kidnap case hero not endorsing free burgers
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing