Trees toppled, damage reported across area
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Residents arcross the Southeast will be spending Thursday cleaning up after a powerful cold front toppled trees and damaged homes.
The massive storm system was blamed for deaths in Georgia and Tennessee.
Closer to home, gusty winds were reported throughout the state causing several injuries, power outages and damage.
In Charlotte Wednesday night, News14 reporter Caroline Vandergriff was seriously injured while covering the storm.
She was standing on a sidewalk with her video camera when two cars crashed in the intersection, sending one of the cars into her. The extent of her injuries are unknown at this time.
In Fayetteville, a large tree fell onto a home in the 300 block of Longhorn Drive, trapping a retired Fort Bragg soldier inside his bedroom.
The 60-year-old man's wife was reportedly able to move some of the tree off of her husband so he could breathe. He was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
The couple's four children were not hurt, but the family has been displaced due to extensive damage to their home.
In the capital city, an elderly woman in a wheelchair also had to be rescued after a tree and some power lines came crashing down onto her home in the 200 block of Lee Street near downtown.
Neighbors tried to help her get out, but the downed power lines kept them at bay until power crews arrived.
Fallen trees across the area were also to blame for power outages. At one point, more than 13,000 Duke and Progress Energy customers were in the dark.
By early Thursday morning, a Tornado Watch and Wind Advisory issued for much of the state had expired.
Now that the cold front has moved on, ABC11 Meteorologist Don "Big Weather" Schwenneker says Thursday will be much cooler with temperatures barely touching 50 degrees. Temperatures will fall to near 40 for highs on Friday and then rebound back into the 50s through the beginning of next week.
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney 14 min ago
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Couple, suspect, officer killed in Burke County
- Graco adds more than 403,000 child seats to recall
- Suspect in Sanford shooting death arrested
- Parents hope bone marrow drive can save son
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale