Bouncer hurt in bar fight dies
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hospital officials said Tuesday that Luther "Jerry" Burton Jr. was removed from life support at the request of his family.
Investigators said Burton suffered a head injury during a brawl at the Hookah House in Smithfield around 2 a.m. Saturday.
Burton was an off-duty bouncer who tried to break up the fight that escalated from two to at least 60 people.
When the crowd cleared, Burton was found lying in the parking lot.
Family members told ABC11 he suffered a major blow to the head when he hit the cement. They said his tongue went into the back of his throat and cut off oxygen, leading to brain damage.
The investigation into what happened continues.
A fund has been set up to help the family with burial expenses.
The Luther Gerald Burton Jr. memorial fund:
Can mail check to:
503 Raleigh Street
Newton Grove, NC 28366
Phone: (910) 594-1004
Fax: (910) 594-0015
208 West Main St.
Benson, NC 27504
Phone: (919) 894-3123
Fax: (919) 894-7394
johnston county, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers 21 min ago
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands
- Snow, ice, deep-freeze hit large swath of US
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help