Bouncer hurt in bar fight dies
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hospital officials said Tuesday that Luther "Jerry" Burton Jr. was removed from life support at the request of his family.
Investigators said Burton suffered a head injury during a brawl at the Hookah House in Smithfield around 2 a.m. Saturday.
Burton was an off-duty bouncer who tried to break up the fight that escalated from two to at least 60 people.
When the crowd cleared, Burton was found lying in the parking lot.
Family members told ABC11 he suffered a major blow to the head when he hit the cement. They said his tongue went into the back of his throat and cut off oxygen, leading to brain damage.
The investigation into what happened continues.
A fund has been set up to help the family with burial expenses.
The Luther Gerald Burton Jr. memorial fund:
Can mail check to:
503 Raleigh Street
Newton Grove, NC 28366
Phone: (910) 594-1004
Fax: (910) 594-0015
208 West Main St.
Benson, NC 27504
Phone: (919) 894-3123
Fax: (919) 894-7394
johnston county, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches