Shaniya Davis trial postponed
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The trial for the man accused of raping and killing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis has been postponed.
A judge granted Mario McNeil's attorney's request for a continuance until April 8. McNeil was originally scheduled to go on trail Feb. 18 in Cumberland County Superior Court.
The attorney said they need more time to evaluate the evidence and get an expert witness.
Authorities said the girl's mother gave the girl to McNeil to settle a drug debt in Nov. 2009.
The trial for the girl's mother, 28-year-old Antoniette Nicole Davis, was also delayed.
Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons on Wednesday granted the defendants' request for a continuance in both cases.
cumberland county, shaniya davis, local/state
- Family of Danielle Locklear opens up 18 min ago
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- GOP: Teacher crisis started before McCrory 34 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Woman's tax refund gobbled by unpaid tickets
- Police investigate meth lab near Clayton
- Photos: Fire in Sea Isle City, NJ
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Mazda recalls 109,000 older SUVs for rust problem
- Duke's Rodney Hood to enter NBA Draft
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- GOP: Teacher crisis started before McCrory
29 min ago