Authorities: Man wearing armor claims suspect shot him
CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- A Fayetteville man is facing charges after he told 911 operators someone allegedly shot at him.
Authorities said on Wednesday, 21-year old Jon Michael Mauldwin called 911 and claimed to have been involved in a shooting outside his Shadyside Lane home.
He allegedly said someone shot at him while he was wearing body armor, so he returned fire and hit the other person.
When authorities arrived at Mauldwin's house, they were unable to find any shell casings where the alleged shooting happened.
An investigation later determined that the round that hit Mauldwin's bullet proof vest was fired by his own .380 handgun.
Cumberland County Sheriff's Detectives charged Mauldwin with filing a false report with law enforcement officers and misuse of the 911 communication system. He has since been released on bond.
cumberland county, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help