Authorities: Teen killed after playing with gun
ROBESON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Robeson County are investigating the death of a local teenager who was killed while playing with a shotgun Thursday night.
It happened around 9:30 p.m. at a home on McQueen Road in Shannon outside of Red Springs.
When Robeson County Sheriff's deputies and EMS arrived at the house, they found an unresponsive 15 year old with a gunshot wound to his chest.
According to Randall Graham, who is an internal affairs investigator with the Robeson County Sheriff's Office, the teen and his 14-year-old brother had been playing with the shotgun when it fired and struck the older brother.
The 15 year old was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Family members who spoke with ABC11 Friday identified the dead boy as Timothy Oxendine. They said he would have turned 16 next month.
Oxendine's stepfather said the gun belonged to him. He said it was used for bird hunting, but it hadn't worked properly for years, so he had stored it in a closet.
The stepfather was away in Virginia when it happened.
The Robeson County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.
robeson county, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 36 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 28 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 19 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Teacher resignations up significantly in...
50 min ago