Newtown mom tells her story to Barbara Gibbs
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WTVD) -- I can't remember the last time I was nervous before interviewing someone.
This time, I was extremely nervous.
Just days ago, I was invited to Newtown, Connecticut, to interview a woman with close ties to the Triangle who lost her precious 6-year-old daughter that horrible day at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
I had no idea how that family was getting through each day after experiencing such unimaginable loss.
As photojournalist Bob Gaughran and I drove into Newtown, there was a palpable feeling of sadness. Makeshift signs were placed throughout the town asking for prayers or to remember those lives lost.
Christmas decorations were still up on some homes and businesses. As if time stopped that day, December 14th, 2012.
Jenny Hubbard spent many years growing up in Chapel Hill and still has family here. Sitting in her living room in Sandy Hook, I met a woman who is lovely, funny and incredibly real. I was extremely moved by her faith in God.
I heard wonderful stories about her daughter Catherine that day. One in particular I'd like to share with you now.
You see, Catherine did not like leaving her mom for school. She was fine when she got to school, but getting on the bus was tough and often full of tears.
Except that morning in December. That day, Catherine was happy, even radiant. She and her mom shared a very special moment before getting on the bus, the last time they ever saw each other.
I have much more to tell you about sweet Catherine and her family, including an amazing plan in the works for a living legacy in her name. Please join us for Eyewitness News starting at 6:45 a.m. Tuesday and again at 5:30 p.m. for a story you'll never forget.
local/state, barbara gibbs
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide 7 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B 40 min ago
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel 51 min ago
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK 49 min ago
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Rabies alert in Cary
- Driver killed after car collides with school bus
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
1 min ago
- Three arrested in north Raleigh murder
1 min ago
- Army declares missing soldier Kelli...
2 min ago