Police: Women targeted in carjackings, assaults
HENDERSON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Vance County are investigating a series of carjackings and sexual assaults.
Henderson police confirm there have been three carjackings in the city with the past month. Police also said females were targeted in each instance, and the victims were all in their late 20s to early 30s. .
In one case, police said a woman was kidnapped and sexually assaulted.
That victim's husband told ABC11 his wife was kidnapped along with his kids and she was raped as the children watched. The 35 year old and her children were eventually allowed to get out of the car after two hours.
The victim's husband said the family now plans to move out of Henderson.
Officials said the suspect is confronting the victims on foot and meeting the victims as they exit their vehicles.
Police said in all three cases the description of the attacker is the same, but officials have not said the cases are connected.
"We're investigating them individually and looking at the possibility they could be related," Henderson Police Lt. Chris Ball said.
Police are advising people to be aware of their surroundings and to park in well-lit areas.
vance county, sex offense, local/state
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim 4 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom
- What do we eat? New food map will tell us
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS