Wake County leaders at odds over new schools
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Wake County School Board and the county's Board of Commissioners met Thursday to discuss the ownership of new school construction.
School board members openly admit there could be a power struggle as the county wants to take ownership over the building of 26 new schools and repairs to older ones.
Both the school board and county commissioners are hoping voters will pass a multi-million dollar bond soon that will allow the new construction. What the two groups are at odds over is who would control the construction and buildings.
Board members say it is not a good idea to hand over the job to the county because there is a lot that goes into the building of a school.
They also say they felt betrayed and lied to by the commissioners, saying that they made the move to take over the construction behind the school board's back.
"This resolution drives a wedge and drives a wedge even further, should I say between the board and the Wake County Commissioners," school board member Deborah Prickett said.
Meanwhile, the commissioners feel the school board is too divided and voters won't pass a bond referendum for new schools with them backing the oversight of construction.
Thursday's meeting ran more than three hours with no resolution reached.
wake county, wake county schools, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help