Wake Co. mom fights to keep porn out of schools
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Wake County mother is making it her mission to keep kids safe from pornography on school computers after she made some disturbing discoveries.
Carolyn Homan brought her case to Wake County School Board members earlier this week. Homan said she first made the discovery a year and a half ago, and there still aren't enough safeguards in place to keep students from seeing the wrong things online.
She made a Youtube video as a last resort to spread the word about what is available to children while at school.
"They did block out a few of the major sites like playboy, but there were billions of explicit sites, violent and pornographic sites that came up with just one easy click," Homan said.
Homan said her fight to make a change started after her young children came to her with what they were able to find online.
"My first grader and second grader came to me and said they'd been able to Google and roam the Internet, do some gaming, look at Youtube clips, and I was quite surprised," Homan said.
Homan went to their school and used one of the computers in the library. That's when Homan said she discovered disturbing sites depicting violent and sexual images.
"One of the things that alarmed me the most was an animated porn movie which portrayed elementary school children raping a babysitter," Homan said.
Homan said this was not an issue with the school, but instead with the filters put in place by the Wake County School Administration. She said she spoke to administrators, but nothing happened. That's what prompted her to make the Youtube video.
She said now she hopes to alert other parents and pressure the school system to put tighter filters in place.
"The administrators down at Wake County have been very unhelpful with regards to providing some additional safety and I've spoken with tech professionals who have outlined that it is very easy to make these changes," Homan said.
Wake County Schools told ABC11 that parents can attend free evening sessions about web-based tools.
You can find out more about those Parent Academy sessions here: http://cs.wcpss.net/index.php?route=lllcoursecontroller/course_detail&course_id=518&cat=19
wake county, wake county schools, local/state, caitlin knute
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 42 min ago
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75