Raleigh to Rock 'N' Roll with marathon
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- City leaders announced a new partnership Tuesday that will bring the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series to Raleigh.
The first event will be held the second weekend in April 2014, and will run every year for at least three years.
"This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase our city's love of sports, outdoor entertainment and world-class cultural offerings. We are looking forward to welcoming thousands of runners and their family and friends to visit Raleigh each spring," said Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane.
The event will be held in conjunction with a health and fitness expo at the Raleigh Convention Center.
Rock 'n' Roll marathons feature running combined with live bands positioned on stages along every mile of the course.
The finish line features a "major headline act" - which has not yet been announced.
Organizers say the series has raised $283 million for a variety of worthy causes and nonprofit organizations.
Learn more at www.RunRocknRoll.com/Raleigh
wake county, local/state
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day 42 min ago
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House 39 min ago
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms