Live wires land on school bus in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- An accident caused a power pole to fall on top of a school bus in Durham Tuesday afternoon - leaving live wires on the bus.
It happened at the intersection of Lakeland and Mathison streets - near Burton Elementary School - around 3:45 p.m.
Officials said there were 17 students on Bus 126, but they were evacuated safely. They were taken back to the school.
Officials said it appeared the bus driver backed into the pole, causing it to fall. The driver apparently had gone down a dead end street and was attempting to turn around when it happened.
The incident knocked out power to roughly 80 homes in the area around the accident according to Duke Energy.
durham county, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help