Warrant: Alleged trooper shooter had bomb pieces
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A search warrant released Wednesday shows authorities found bomb-making materials in the apartment that the man accused of shooting a North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper shared with his pregnant girlfriend.
Mikel Edward Brady II, 23, is accused of shooting Trooper Michael Potts during a traffic stop in Durham February 19.
Investigators have also charged Brady's girlfriend - 21-year-old Lyndsey Smith, of Durham - with accessory after the fact in the case and harboring a fugitive.
According to a search warrant, authorities searched the couple's apartment on White Pine Drive in Durham and found PVC piping, nails, "and other items that were later learned to be items of bomb making."
The warrant also states "investigators found a digital camera, with clear pictures of instructions marked how to make bombs. A large map of Durham was located on the bedroom wall, with locations of police, fire, and EMS station clearly marked on the map."
Brady has not been charged with anything related to what authorities allegedly found in his apartment. He is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill in Potts' shooting.
Trooper Potts, 42, has been released from Duke University Hospital and is recuperating at home.
wake county, durham county, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills 9 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help